What kind of food help you lose excess body weight without losing vitality?
What foods give you unwanted pounds and which are the ones that increase energy, speed up the cellular metabolism and burn the excess fat?
Text by: Mr. Dedoukos Stavros
THE MEANING OF BIOENERGY
How many bodies do we have? Do not describe our question as naïve and do not rush to answer “only one”! All of us have two bodies, not one: our material or physical body, the one that is macroscopically or microscopically visible to the human eye, and the energy or the electromagnetic body that surrounds it and it is invisible.
The energy body is a feature of our energy situation, since it constantly exchanges energy with both the physical body and the environment, playing the role of the mediator.
The planets, the earth, the sun, the air, the food, the other living beings, our emotions, our thoughts are all main sources of energy and they affect, positively or negatively, our energy levels. When the energy received is equal to the deferred one, then there is a balance of energy. When there is more of the energy received, then there is a positive balance of energy, while when the losses dominate, then there is a negative balance of energy and then the problems begin…
WHY DO WE GAIN FAT?
Our material (or physical) body operates all the time, even when we rest. In order for the organism to perform its various functions, a continuous energy conversion is required.
Energy is introduced into the material body in the form of a chemical energy, which is enclosed to the chemical bonds between carbon and carbon–hydrogen atoms, within the molecules of food. Its release takes place in stages, through a series of chemical reactions, called burns or oxidations. A part of the energy produced during these burns of food is converted into heat (thermogenesis), while the rest serves to produce work.
However, as much as the energy of the food is unnecessary or useless and unsuitable for maintaining our temperature, for reconstructing cells, producing work, feeding the vital functions or for the strengthening our energy body, is stored in our material body in the form of fat, resulting on the one hand, in the body weight gain and on the other hand, in the accumulation of free radicals and toxic substances (xenobiotics) , which is the main reason of weakening of the immune system, degenerative diseases and premature aging.
The idea that the nutrients of some foods may increase or limit the bioenergy is pretty aged. However, during the past years, many scientific evidence have been found that support the theory through the study of food and food intolerances.
According to an Asian applied medicine, in order to enhance our physical and mental energy, we must eat mainly simple and natural foods, called sattvic, and we should avoid as much as we can those that disturb our energy balance (razasic and tamasic foods).
After all, it is pretty known that the traditional Asiatic pyramid of food is internationally recognized as a model of nutrition that promotes the well-being and leads to long life.
ADVANTAGES OF THE BIOENERGETIC NUTRITION
- Promotes health.
- Produces a higher level of energy.
- Helps fight stress.
- Restores the balance of energy.
- Increases the well-being and the vitality.
- Improves the body’s detoxification capacity.
- Contributes to longevity.
- Accelerates the loss of the excess pounds.
Think about it: Health, high energy levels, stress reduction, youthful tightness and prolongation of youth, longevity and no unnecessary pounds. Isn’t that what we all want?
BIOENERGETIC CLASSIFICATION OF FOODS
For the most part, bioenergy diets embrace the classification of foods into yin and yang (beneficial and harmful respectively, according to the Western standards). However, they go one step further, by giving special attention both to the matching of foods (bioenergy), as well as to the appropriate combinations of foods that increase the energy levels of the human body. According to the basic nutritional aspects of Yoga and Ayurveda, each individual food and combination of foods has a different effect on the human body and spirit. Based on this effect, all foods are classified into three main categories:
- Sattvic Foods (calmness, serenity): They nourish both the material and the energy body, calm the mind and keep the soul at peace, leading to true health. These foods, such as fruits, leafy green vegetables and generally raw products of natural origin and without any human processing, e.g. industrial processing, should form the basis of the daily diet.
- Razasic Foods(activity): Disrupt and ultimately spoil the mind-body balance, act as stimulants for the material body at the expense of the mind and the energy body, increase the appetite and prevent the detoxification of the organism. Such foods act mostly as stimulants, such as meat, eggs, fish, onion, garlic, spicy foods, coffee, tea high in caffeine, soft drinks etc.
- Tamasic Foods (darkness, inaction): They harm both the mind and the body. They reduce the vital energy, cause physical and mental inactivity, increase the body weight and weaken the immune system. This category includes all the widely processed foods, such as fast food, and/or food that contain a lot of sugar, alcohol or chemical additives, as well as polyphagia (which leads to lethargy and weakens the body).
PROCESSING, COOKING, SEASONALITY
Depending on how they have been produced, on the stage of ripening or the way they have been produced, the same foods may have a different effect. For this reason, foods that should be avoided are the ones that:
- They come from conventional, intensive farming animals such as meat and its derivatives as well as fish from fish farms.
- They are cooked more than they should or at a very high temperature such as fried foods.
- They are very hot, e.g. very hot soups.
- They are artificially bitter, sour, dry or salty, e.g. the very salty foods.
- They have been violently fermented such as some alcohol drinks.
- They contain chemical additives, drug residues or hormones.
- They are kept with chemical preservatives or they have been irradiated.
- They are multi-processed, stale, rotting or out of their normal season, e.g. early ripened fruits.
- They are not creations of nature but solely of man, such as genetically modified foods.
Example: A food that can be eaten raw (such as an apple), when it is being cooked (e.g. becomes compote) loses its beneficial ingredients and the beneficial properties. However, even if a food is eaten in a raw form, if we’re not careful enough, it may harm us instead of do good to us. When for example the apple, and generally every fruit and vegetable, is being eaten unripe, has a razasic effect on us (it increases the appetite and especially the desire for sweets). When it is ripe or contains pesticide residues it exerts a tamasic effect on us (it weakens our health and increases the body weight), while when it is being consumed within the right season and is in an intermediate normal state of maturation, then it has sattvic properties (it maintains the metabolism flourishing, it prevents the absorption of cholesterol in other foods and prevents the fat accumulation).
LOSE WEIGHT IN A HEALTHY WAY? YES, IT IS POSSIBLE!
Get an elegant silhouette by eating bioenergetics foods and say “goodbye!” to excess pounds.
The bioenergetics nutrition separates the foods into more and less “alive”, to more or less beneficial – not into “good” or “bad”. Any food, even if it is characterized as “dead” or “empty” by beneficial nutritional elements, such as a sweet rich in sugar and fat, it may have its beneficial characteristic and based on that we will choose it, as long as we know what kind of effect it will have on our organism. If, for example, we feel at some point that we need a physical stimulation and irritation, we can consume a razasic food. However, such option is the exception and not the rule – the rule is a diet based on sattvic foods!
By consuming mostly sattvic foods, the energy which is enclosed in fat cells is released to the environment, the material body gets detoxified, the receptors of the energy body increase their receptiveness and the organism addresses easily the situations and problems that disrupt its energy balance, such as the excess body weight and the unnecessary fats.
However, a diet is considered to be a sattvic one only if it contains no meat (acrophagia) and its derivatives. On the other hand, it has to be mentioned that the consumption of animal products, such as dairy products, is purely a personal choice.
EXAMPLES OF SATTVIC FOOD
- Group of Green Vegetables: Cucumbers, artichokes, several greens, peas, carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage, edible flowers, lettuce, broccoli, beetroot, rocket, celery, spinach, asparagus, green beans – all fresh and not canned or frozen.
- Group of Fruits: Avocado, pineapple, blueberries, apricots, grapefruits, plums, watermelon, cherries, cranberries, mangoes, mandarins, apples, bananas, papaya, melon, oranges, peaches, pomegranates, grapes, figs, strawberries – all the fresh fruits should taste sweet, while the dried fruits should have been dried naturally.
- Group of Cereals: Oats, sweet potato, corn, millet, quinoa, barley, rice, rye, wheat, buckwheat, and cereal sprouts, carob as well as products such as e.g. pasta, groats, breakfast flakes, beverages.
- Group of Legumes: Chickpeas, soy, fava, lentils, beans, legume sprouts as well as soy products such as soya milk, soya minced, soya cheese without preservatives or other chemical additives.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut, walnuts, chestnuts, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, flaxseeds, macadamia, pecans, sesame seeds and their products such as almond butter, almond milk, and coconut water, tahini – the nuts should be ripe, uncooked and unsalted.
- Oils: Olive oil, walnut oil, linoleum, sesame oil – coarsely processed, preferably the cold pressed products.
- Herbs and Spices: Anise, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, turmeric, yolk, nutmeg, mustard seeds, ginger.
- Dairy Products: Buttermilk, goat’s milk, yogurt, cheeses – all organic and fresh. A limited frequency and quantity of consumption is recommended.
- Beverages (without added sweeteners): Herbal juices, lassi (yogurt, water, salt, spices), vegetable juices, fruit juices. Also, milk and beverages from cereals, nuts, legumes or seeds.
- Sweeteners – Sweets: Raw sugar, honey (organic, raw and non-heated), maple syrup, stevia, fruit sweets, carob sweets. Occasional their consumption is recommended in controlled quantities.
Always remember: Sattvic foods keep healthy the energy body without energy losses, without unnecessary fats and at its normal weight, the mind clear and alive, and the soul clean. As long as we are physically active and frugal, avoid excessive eating and eat so that to live, not live so that to eat…
The above provided information intent to inform the readers and do not replace the personal advice of doctors and dietitians which you should consult before making any significant dietary change.